What is Cranio-Sacral Therapy?
Cranio-Sacral Therapy is an exceptionally gentle yet extremely powerful form of treatment, incorporating a profound healing process which can release the deeply held patterns of disease from the body which result in illness and dysfunction. Restrictions of musculo-skeletal tissue and fascia can reduce circulation, impede nerve function, create structural misalignment throughout the body and adversely affect organ function. Restrictions of fascia around the spine and cranial bones together with deeper restrictions of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord will create dysfunction and asymmetry of the central nervous system, affecting cerebrospinal fluid flow around the brain and spinal cord, impede cranial nerve function and impose pressure on various structures around the brain which can lead to various symptoms ranging from headaches and migraines to TMJ disorders, hormonal disturbances and postural problems.
The Cranio-Sacral process enhances the underlying vitality – the Breath of Life as described by William Sutherland. A strong vitality in the Central Nervous system is primary to advanced well-being and enjoyment of health on all levels- physically, mentally and emotionally. The Cranio-Sacral process is also focused on freeing all restrictions on all levels of tissue throughout the body and the Central Nervous system to allow free expression of all body systems for optimal health.
It can be helpful in most conditions- from minor postural aches and pains to severe and chronic dysfunctions. Cranio-Sacral Therapy is focused on treating the individual and the cause of the problem to enhance health and well-being , not only addressing the symptoms.
How does it work?
Cranio-Sacral Therapy is performed with the client fully clothed lying on a bed. Through very gentle touch, mainly around the head (cranium), the spine and the tailbone (sacrum), the practitioner is able to identify areas of restriction, compression and tension throughout the body.
The practitioner is able to feel the restrictions and asymmetry of the bones, membrane and fascia which surround the organs, muscles, nerves, blood vessels and other tissues. The practitioner is also able to feel the flow of the Cerebrospinal fluid around the Central Nervous System which is called the Cranio-Sacral Rhythm.
This Cranio-Sacral Rhythm is expressed throughout the body as a rhythmic motion of 4 to 14 cycles per minute. Disturbances to health, whether physical or psycho-emotional will influence this Cranio-Sacral Rhythm. The Cranio-Sacral Therapist are trained to feel disturbances to this flowing rhythm in the brain and spinal cord and therefore diagnose and identify the nature and source of the condition. Compressions and asymmetry of different cranial plates, vertebrae and connective tissues can impede the optimal function of nerves throughout the body ( pinched nerves), reduce proper blood supply and venous drainage to relevant areas, reduce muscle activation and the optimal function of the organs including the brain.
As the practitioner tunes into these restrictions and facilitates gentle fascial release, alignment and improved structural integrity occurs as the body’s inherent healing ability ( Breath of Life) is expressed . The underlying vitality of the body is enhanced by the free, uninhibited expression of this rhythm once again throughout the body.
The patient often experience these releases as a powerful relaxation and sense of ease, often falling asleep and feeling much lighter towards the end of a session.
What conditions can it treat?
Cranio-Sacral Therapy treats the individual and restores health and vitality on all levels of being- physical , mental and emotional. The symptoms and condition may be secondary and compensatory to the cause of the imbalance, so with Cranio-Sacral Therapy the cause is addressed and therefore the conditions and symptoms presented and often other disregarded symptoms will dissolve and heal.
Conditions addressed by Cranio-Sacral Therapy:
- Headaches and Migraines
- Asthma, Sinusitis, Bronchitis
- Musculo-skeletal injuries throughout the body and limbs and Repetitive Strain injuries, eg Frozen shoulder, ITB, Achilles tendon, Carpal Tunnel, Tennis and Golfer’s elbow to name a few
- Digestive Problems, Spastic colon, Irritable Bowel syndrome
- Back Pain, Neck pain, Whiplash injuries
- Tension, Anxiety, Stress, Insomnia
- Menstrual disorders, cystitis, hormonal imbalances
- Pregnancy aches and pains and Post-partum Depression
- Post Operative Scar Tissue and Adhesions
- Birth trauma, Colic, Reflux, Feeding Difficulties
- Ear Infections,Glue Ear, Tonsillitis, ENT Issues
- Concussion and Post Concussion symptoms
- Vertigo, Dizziness, Visual disturbances and Vestibular disturbances, Tinnitus
- Learning Difficulties, Dyslexia, Hyperactivity
- Epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy and neurological developmental delays
- Behavioural Disorders, Sleep disorders, Tantrums and head banging in children
- Dental and TMJ (jaw) Problems
- Shock and Trauma release, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Post-Meningitis symptoms , post- encephalitis symptoms
- Post viral symptoms and Chronic Fatigue, Adrenal Burnout
- Endocrine system imbalances